I like big salads and I cannot lie.
Don’t give this girl a wimpy little salad. Unless it’s a side salad. And it better be on the side of my fries. Which should be on the side of my burger.
Don’t worry. This salad is not small. It.Is.Mighty.
It is loaded with kale, toasted pine nuts and a whole avocado! It’s big in flavor and pretty enough to eat.
This recipe comes together so quickly because while the quinoa is cooking, you are prepping everything else. You’ll blink your eyes and BAM, you’re done cooking. Blink again and….
BAM! It’s gone.
Wait……don’t be sad! You already ate your salad. Now you can enjoy those fries we talked about!
- 1 c quinoa
- 2 C reduced sodium chicken stock
- 6 C chopped kale
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled and diced into cubes
- ½ C pine nuts
- Rinse and drain quinoa. In a medium sauce pot, bring chicken stock to a boil and quinoa to a boil. After the stock begins to boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer on low, for about 15 minutes and stir. Almost all of the liquid should be absorbed. Remove from heat, keep covered, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium-low heat. Keep an eye on these and don't let them burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and add it to the large bowl. Add chopped kale and stir to combine. Make sure dressing coats quinoa and kale. Gently stir in avocado and half of the pine nuts. Top with remaining pine nuts and serve.